What is Ketosis?
Ketosis is the result of carbohydrate deprivation. Your body requires adequate amounts of carbohydrates in order to properly metabolize body fat. When there is not enough carbohydrate in the body for this process to take place, the body has to take emergency measures and burns the stored fats instead. This results in the build-up of acids called ketones in the body. The primary symptom of ketosis is called ketonemia, the appearance of ketone bodies in the blood. Ketone bodies are formed due to incomplete burning of fats. These ketones can be used in place of glycogen for energy production, and they also are used as energy to fuel brain and nervous system function.
Effects of Ketosis
The problem is that ketones are not efficient in fueling exercise as glycogen. In a prolonged state of ketosis, you tend to be sluggish, your mental processes suffer, and your body gradually becomes dehydrated. Worse in the absence of carbohydrates, your body begins to metabolize larger and larger amounts of amino acids (protein) for additional energy.
A lot of bodybuilders like the ketosis diet anyway. Since it lets you eat both a lot of protein and fat, being in ketosis tends to reduce your feelings of hunger. Carbohydrate deprivation also causes dehydration. It is easy to confuse the loss of water weight with loss of body fat.
When you are limiting your carbohydrate intake, you can test for ketosis by obtaining some Ketostix at virtually any pharmacy. When these test strips are passed through your urine they turn red to purple if you are in ketosis; the color indicates the depth of your ketogenic state.
Pros In Keto Diet:
- Weight Reduction: When our body enters in ketosis, it starts in the process of fat burning mode. Skipping carbs also causes our body to hold less water which causes weight loss.
- Feel Satiety: On a keto diet, you won’t feel hungry. Because of the high amount of fat in the diet which minimizes cravings. It provides steady flow energy for an hour, thus removing the feeling of hungriness.
- Reduce Insulin Fluctuation: Keto diet can reduce blood sugar and insulin fluctuation due to lower carbohydrate intake.
Cons In Keto Diet:
- Difficulty In Adaptation Process: When you get into keto-adaptation, the body takes one to two weeks and the process can be uncomfortable for some people. Some common symptoms can occur like headaches, fatigue, nausea etc. Due to skipping of carbohydrates intake, our body cannot hold as much water as required, so the loss of electrolytes is common.
- Restriction On Certain Food Group: Some people may don’t like banning entire food groups and on the other hand, keto diet requires you to give up all forms of sugars like candy, ice-cream, and carbs such as rice, bread, pasta, etc.
- Social Gathering: Maintaining a keto diet is difficult especially while attending birthday parties, wedding, and many other social events. These things tend to restrict your goal.
Now you have a better understanding of the Pros and Cons of the Ketogenic diet. But it seems nowadays keto diet is more trending. More professionals follow this keto diet.
Here is a list of food items you can have during Ketosis:
- Coconut and coconut milk or oil.
- Olive oil.
- Eggs yolks.
Also Read Belly Fat Eliminating Exercises.